Hi all, hope you’ve had a good week. Sorry for missing last week’s post but I was out of town and I had mostly been working on funding submissions and trademark registrations. So you know I didn’t have the most exciting content to talk about.

Anyway this week I finished the background art for world 6. And I had a bit of a personal level up moment when it came to the color pallet. See, for world 5 I spent ages trying to settle on a color pallet that I liked. But ultimately I was pretty unhappy with the result.

 

So here is the color pallet I used, and here is the finished result as implemented into the game. This color pallet worked well until it really didn’t. It worked well until I had to draw the food stalls in the foreground and then everything started falling apart. And while I was making the art for world 6 I finally understood why.

So I started work on world 6 much the same way I started world 5. I made a pallet and started drawing from within that pallet’s constraints.

 

This worked great for the little bushes up the front of the scene, but I kept getting the feeling that the dirt and the sky just weren’t working. But still I persisted and stuck with my current course.

World6WIP2

But as I added more and more detail I found things just weren’t adding up. Things weren’t as pretty or as appealing as I hoped them to be. And so I found myself questioning the pallet I made. And I didn’t understand why my pallets just weren’t working. But then I realized that the pallets that I had been using had two major problems.

Firstly they don’t allow me to see the colors effectively in context. And secondly once all I had finished blending colors together, despite having 15-20 colors the viewer would only effective perceive all those as three or four distinct colors (Which often didn’t look good next to each other). And so after some extensive research of different color pallets that I thought would work for the scene on Pintrest, I landed on this configuration.World6Pallet2

So, lets dissect what I was trying to do with this pallet. I wanted to be able to see the 4-7 main colors that would define the scene, much like a traditional color pallet. But I wanted to be able to see what colors would be used as the highlight and shading colors for those main colors. This was so that I could get a better idea of how things would look once shaded. Another nice feature I found out while working with this pallet is that I could quickly see how color groups would look together by covering the colors I wasn’t interested in seeing with a finger.

Now there are some draw backs to this system. This system I think works really well for pallets focus on one color with maybe a complimentary color thrown in (for example mostly green and then some yellow). I don’t know how well this system will work for pallets that utilize a lot of contrasting colors. But I guess I will find that one out as I draw later worlds!

Anyway, once I had my new pallet figured out, I went about replacing the old colors with the new and we ended up with this. Which is so much nicer that if I had just stuck with the old pallet.

World6WIP3

Anyway, I will hopefully see you all next week. But until then, have a great weekend!

Advertisements