Archives for posts with tag: Bugs

So this week has been a rough week for Kana Quest. This has mainly been because my grandfather’s health has deteriorated quite significantly so my mind has been elsewhere. But hey somethings did get done so without further ado here’s what I got done.

First thing I got done was I have fully implemented a medal system into Kana Quest. This allows the player to choose their own difficulty. A gold medal will be earned by completing a level in the minimum number of moves. A silver medal will be earned by completing the level within two or three moves beyond the minimum. And bronze medals are earned for completing the level in any amount of moves.

KanaQuestMedalMedu

Seen below is a demonstration of the player losing the medal they earn based on how many moves they use.

MedalDemo

finishedlevelThis is a wip of the gui that will appear once the level is complete. I like the cool rainbow next level button but I’ve gotten a bunch of feedback that it doesn’t fit with the art style. A variant of this gui will appear depending on the medal the player earns.

 

 

 

The last thing that I achieved was debugging the new movement script from last week. I’ve gotten rid of a lot of the main bugs that were plaguing that script but now things are much more stable. There is still some bugs in there but I have had a much harder time replicating those bugs so they remain in until I can consistently trigger those bugs to get rid of them.

Anyway hope you all have a good weekend. I’ll see you next week.

Today was mostly a day focusing on Kana Quest.  But the first thing I did was make a few more changes to the  drawing from yesterday.SUStudyYellowDiamondFightfinal

There is a lot more I could do with this piece, and to be honest I’m not actually happy with how it came out but I need to finish it and move onto something new. The main changes for today was increasing the boldness of the lines in the gems, and changing some of the colors in the background. The things I don’t like about this piece is it just feels kinda flat and lifeless to me. I know I’m working in a cartoon style but this drawing feels so much less dynamic than what I was going for. I think my lack of skill in shading and color theory really hurt this piece. But alas. It’s time to move on from the art of Rebecca Sugar onto a new artist. I think I might focus on landscapes and buildings after this so I look forward to having my buildings looking like boxes and getting annoyed at them.

Next up is I finally finished implementing a mechanic for kana quest from a while back.

It works like this, you have a “paint” tile that when you use it changes the vowel of any kana you use it with. So above an “a” paint tile used with an “nn” tile changes the sound to a “Na”. Most of the mechanic was already done for me today but the thing I did do was create that splotchy overlay to show that the sound has been altered. The hardest part was actually getting that overlay to go back in the correct place when the undo button was used. But I got it working despite the many bugs.

Finally today I started work on a level select scene in the game. Thus allowing players to pick and choose any level they have beaten.  This is good as it allows folk to replay levels if they have forgotten how to play. You can see the begging of the sprites I will use below.KanaQuestGUIPreview.png

So the numbered tiles will be used for the levels. I will use green borders for levels that the player can access and red ones for levels that they can’t.

And that’s everything I did today.