Archives for posts with tag: Sunset

So this week Kana Quest has progressed slowly. Not gonna lie. But sometimes you need to take a step back from making a thing so you can continue pressing on in a healthy direction. But still I’ll show you all what I’ve made, why I’ve made it and all that.
HavaVer2So this is a character that I have made for the tutorial sections of the first world. I have a plan of how each world is going to look like and what theme each one will have. The first world is all about Sakura flowers. This is because spring signifies new beginnings in most cultures and the symbol for spring in Japan is Sakura. Another cute thing to note is the academic school year begins during Sakura season. So it makes sense to start a new journey about learning new things. Anyway this character is called Hanna because the word for flower in Japanese is Hana (I’m a sucker for multilingual puns).
So one major problem I’ve encountered this week was one coming from my own art.  So the plan for Hanna is that she will be speaking to the player via text box. And this will be overlay on-top of the background (See Below). The problem is the background commands a lot of attention and I can’t just put Hanna on-top of it. If I do it will look awful. And to be honest this has been just further frustrating me about the background art. I really want to re-do it to make it more usable but I’m afraid I will be falling into the trap of never finishing anything. So for now I am going to leave it. I will make note of future backgrounds to avoid the traps that I have put myself into from that first background.TutorialScriptSkipButton

The things I will do for future backgrounds are as follows.

  • Use less colors and stay strictly within color pallet
  • Don’t make the image a fixed size. It limits my ability to add new levels should I need to.
  • Make sure you set up the backgrounds to parallax this way worlds can be as large or small as I like.
  • Make the visual level counters an even distance apart.

 

SlimeTilesThe last thing I want to show this week is the Slime Tiles. This is the finished art of a mechanic that has been finished for a while. Basically all the Hiragana that don’t have a consonant (a,i,u,e,o) when used with another Hiragana will change the other Hiragana. For example using o (far right in above gif) with a Ka (far left in tutorial demo gif) will change the Ka to a Ko. Once used with another tile the changed tile will have that same transparent slimy color over it so the player can track the change. I really like this mechanic because it solves a couple of problems. First it makes a,i,u,e,o function differently from other kana that have both a vowel and a consonant. The reason this is important is that if they didn’t behave differently they would just restrict level design space for no real reason as they can only be matched with similar vowels as they have no consonant. Secondly they get the player to focus on the sounds of the tiles in interesting ways. This way the game isn’t just a puzzle of “how to I move the tiles around in the most efficient way”?

So that’s my progress for the week. If anyone has any questions about Kana Quest or design choices please feel free to ask!

Till next time.

 

So been a while since I was on here.  So what have I been doing?

Basically since I last posted I have decided to dedicate all my time to making my game Kana Quest. I’ve just been forgetting to upload updates to this blog cos I’m good at the social of the medias. Speaking of the social media, I’ve been trying real hard to get twitter working for me. So if you want more immediate updates on Kana Quest follow me @notdeaddesigner .

So Anyway. Have some images and gifs of Kana Quest’s progress.

Kq4

This one is showing off the new background for Kana Quest. The final game with have a background with the same level of polish for each world.

CuteKanaAllWell for some reason it lets me have this gif. Whatever. This shows of me redesign of the Kana tiles to give them all a bit of personality, as well as a backdrop for the puzzles so its easy to see the puzzles with the new background.

NewLevelLayoutIn this one I have added a new UI above the puzzle to improve visibility, changed the formerly red tiles (non moving tiles) to be stone tiles, and I’ve changed the beat level anim to be more instantaneous.

NewRestartButtonGif

In this one I’ve changed to UI ontop of the puzzle as playtesters wanted a restart button and an undo button.

NewEnglishBacks

In this one I updated the backs of the Kana tiles to match the front. As you can see though the back of the stone tiles still don’t match up. Another big change in this one that might not be immediately noticeable is that I no longer have my pixels bunching and stretching so in other words from here on in we are pixel perfect 😀 😀

TutorialScriptTransitions

This one is showing off my new tutorial system. Some one who goes back to last year might remember that I spent a large amount of time making a tutorial script. I was basically forced to retire that script because it was hella inefficient. This one is way more efficient and elegant. Anyway I’ll have a lot more control over this script that the old one had.

And that’s about it. I will probably do updates once a week on Saturdays from now on and will go a lot more in depth of what I’ve been doing. What I want to do the coming week, problems I’ve been having and how I solved old problems.

Anyway take care all.

 

Page 5 of Bogan Bots. Hope you all like it.

bogan-bots5

Scenic View

Just a simple drawing I did in my spare time. Progressively got more cartoon-ish the more time I spent on it. I usually have difficulty drawing landscapes so I’m reasonably happy how it come out.