Archives for posts with tag: background

Another week another Devblog.

This was an ok week for productivity. Some stuff got done but not as much as I know I can get done (I spent most of Wednesday practically falling asleep). But three big things were done this week!

The first thing is that I have officially started working on Kana Quest’s audio. Well more like the background music for the game. Now when I knew I was going to have pixel art for the visuals of Kana Quest I knew that chip tunes were going to be used for the music. So this week I did my research of what were the best programs for making chip tunes and landed on FamiTracker (the visual fustercluck you see below). Then I spent a little bit figuring out how to use the thing. Thankfully there were some really well made tutorials on youtube that sped up the process. Now that I’m used to the software its not so bad to work with. Although if you look below you can see that I kinda ended up with a piece of music which has 5 frames to a crotchet for some reason. This is great if I want to you know have quavers (sarcasm). Regardless, progress on the theme song for Kana Quest is progressing nicely.FamitrackerScreenshot.png

The second major achievement for this week was the implementation of an options screen. Last week I talked about how the player can now switch between Hiragana and Katakana. The options screen is how the player is going to do that, so it is pretty important that I get the options screen working. I haven’t got all the controls on it working yet but we will get there soon enough. At the very least its really nice not to have one grayed out button on my main menu screen.Options Screen Demo

Finally, saving the best till last, we finally have world 2 implemented into the game! So the way you get to the world 2 is by click and drag the screen to move over. I’ve put a ridgidbody2D onto the camera so that when the player lets go of the camera will continue moving for a moment. It just feels a nicer to do doing it this way. Another thing to notice is that the menu button changes color when we move to world 2. One of the things that is a big part of making the art for a new world is making sure the colors of the UI matches the new setting. So, although you can’t see the extent of this in the gif below, a large part of putting this into the game was recoloring all the UI. One last small detail in this gif is the title screen. I’ve changed the image used for the stars in the background. I’m much happier with where they are now and the new stars look great!MovingToWorld2.gif

Anyway. That’s all the major and interesting stuff I got done this week. I’ll see you next week where hopefully we will be able to show off some levels for the second world! Until then, take care.

Advertisements

Another week another update. This week has been kinda slow. This is partly because I’m still slightly recovering from AVCon. The other reason is this week I’m working from home and I always find a way to goof off when I’m at home. (This would be why people have work studios).

That said I do have some fun stuff to show off. The first thing which I am personally most excited for is the background art of the second world!ParralaxTest2GIF.gif

So I am super happy with how this turned out. The biggest thing that is different between this art and the tutorial background is that this has been designed to not be a static image. I drew each part of this background on nine separate layers that will repeat. The reason I have done this is because for each world I want to be able to add as many levels as I want without needing to redraw the art. This was a problem I noticed vary quickly from the first background: that it was drawn for a specific number of levels. If I need to change that number later on, making my backgrounds this way will allow me to do so. So now onto some of the artistic decisions with the piece. So this piece is set in summer following on from the last background that was set in spring. The rice in the foreground is a dead giveaway for this. A couple of other fun things about this piece is that it was inspired by the town I used to live in (Asago in Hyogo Prefecture). Lots of stunning mountains, rice fields everywhere, and ever so slightly worn down buildings. A couple of small details on the buildings is on the announcement board I wrote “テオドの” which basically means “This is Theodor’s”. Yes I am capable of being that vain.

Next up is Katakana. Katakana is one of the three writing systems in Japanese. All the gifs and images shown previously have been of Hiragana. Hiragana and Katakana (mostly) produce the same sounds, but Hiragana is used for native worlds whereas Katakana is used for foreign words. I have planned to have Katakana in the game for a while. The reason is that mechanically they will operate the same as Hiragana and A LOT of people forget their Katakana. So usually what happens is folk spend a lot of time learning Hiragana, then they get to Katakana and are just sick of rote learning letters. So it was simply a matter of when I found the time to implement it. Its not particularly hard to put in, just time consuming. But the first step is getting the Katakana sprites done.

 

Well as of this week I have all the Katakana versions of the normal and slime tiles ready to go. Not gonna put them all up in the blog post because that just takes up space for no real reason. Haven’t got them working in game yet, but the sprites are done so that is one big step to implementing it.

The way it will work in game once implemented is the player will choose Hiragana or Katakana from the options menu. Then all puzzles will appear as they normally would with the selected letters. This way the player can practice the one they want freely.

Ok. That’s me for the week. I’ll see you all next week. Take care.